Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Preppy Stripes Scarf - Free Beginner Pattern

This scarf was published in 2005 in one of my booklets called Crochet in Style by Kooler Designs Studio. Leisure Arts partnered with them as the publisher. The booklet is out of print now but can still be purchased on Amazon, eBay and at Kooler Design Studios here. Other projects in the book include Loops 'n Loops Scarf, Pink Filigree Capelet (sold on this blog as 1 individual psttern), Fabulous Fishnet Poncho, Fluffy Flowers Scarf and Circle Fringe Scarf.

Preppy Stripes Scarf by Mary Jane Hall



They told me that after 1 year the designs in the booklet would revert back to me and I could sell them in any way I wanted. I am offering this scarf as a FREE design here on my blog. It's perfect for a beginner! By the way skinny scarves were popular back in 2005 - 2006, but then phased out. I can now say that in 2015, I'm seeing all kinds of very skinny, long scarves on the runways!

I will post the free pattern later today when I get on my laptop and will do that this evening sincd I dont have the patern on my table that Im woring from right now. Please let me know you need the pattern in case I forget!

Please overlook the photo! I just took a picture of the photo that was in the book with my phone. I gave that scarf 10 years ago to my daughter and I'm sure it's really old by now or I would be glad to take a better picture. Normally, I take my own pictures of my designs before sending them to the publisher, but they need these designs so quickly that they wanted me to overnight them! I'll see if my daughter still has that scarf!



Preppy Stripes Scarf by Mary Jane Hall


Finished Size: approx 3" x 84"
Skill Level: Beginner


Materials
Medium Worsted Weight Yarn - # 4
    Beige (A) - 2 ounces/ 113 yards / 66 grams / 103 meters
    Rust (B) - 2 ounces / 177 yards / 57 grams / 162 meters
    Olive Green (C) - 2 ounces / 127 yards / 57 grams / 117 meters
    Dark Brown (D) - 2 ounces / 113 yards / 57 grams / 103 meters
Size K / 10 1/2 (6.5 mm) Crochet Hook


Gauge (in pattern)
7 sc and 5 rows = 2"


Color Sequence
Beige (A), Rust (B), Olive Green (C), Dark Brown (D)


Note: When changing yarn at end of row, pull new color through last 2 loops of last sc. Ch 1, turn. Start next row with new color. It can be a little tricky to hide the colors when weaving in the ends at the side edges. As you can see from my picture, some of the colors show on the sides.


Options
If you do not like working in the back loop only (blo), you can work regular sc or DC , working in both loops. Remember that working in the back loop only creates the ridge, but it also makes the scarf stretch. You may want to shorten the scarf, by working less rows than the pattern calls for.


Instructions
With D, Ch 11 loosely.
Row 1: SC in 2nd chain and in each chain across. Chain 1, turn.
Rows 2- 5: Sc in back loop of each sc across. Ch 1, turn.
Rows 6 - 10: With A repeat row 2
Rows 11- 15: With B repeat row 2
Rows 16 - 20: With C repeat row 2
Rows 21 - 25: With D repeat row 2
Rows 26 - 185: Repeat rows 6 - 25 eight times. Fasten off and weave in loose ends.


Note: If your stitches are loose it would be a good idea to use a fabric glue or OK TO WASH IT to keep ends from coming out. You can buy this fabric glue at JoAnn Fabric and Crafts, Hancock Fabrics or Hobby Lobby. It is especially important to use this if your stitches are loose, but if your stitches are  tight, you may not need to use it.


Fringe
Use forty 24" strands of beige yarn. Attach evenly across both ends of scarf, using 2 strands for each fringe. Fold strands in half, hook folded ends around hook, and pull through scarf; insert strands into loop pulled through and pull gently to tighten. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Jane,

    I'd love to have the pattern for this scarff. If you posted it, I don't see it. Hope you're having a great day.

    Musically,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison. So sorry about that! I got side tracked! I just posted the written pattern for the Preppy Stripes Scarf.

      Thanks for being patient!

      Delete