Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Baja Beef - Mexican Layered Dish

Baja Beef

I asked on Facebook if anyone knew where Baja was and they said California but I didn't know the connection with Mexico. Then a friend said The Baja Pennisula is part of Mexico...although it juts off south of California...and the j is pronounced h in Spanish.

I've been fixing this for 24 years and all this time I thought Baja was an Indian term or town. It makes much more sense to me now that it's a Mexican dish. All this time I've been confused because I thought "why would anyone give a Mexican dish an Indian name?" Haha 

Sorry I don't have a better picture, but you will see in the ingredient section this is a layered Mexican dish. I know it looks like any other typical Mexican layered dish, but this is different and much tastier.  
Someone said this looks like  Frito Pie, but it's not like just any frito pie. The typical recipe has taco seasoning in it mixed with ground beef and I'm not crazy about that. The sauce to this Baja Beef is what makes it more special and I hope you think so too. Enjoy!

Baja Beef  - serves 5 - 6

1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 - 8 Oz can tomato sauce
1 - 6 Oz can tomato paste
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp salt

Brown meat, garlic and onions. Drain. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, and 2 cans water. Add spices. Simmer 30 - 50 minutes. 

To Serve on each Individual Plate:
Place regular Fritos on plate. Add meat mixture. Then add any or all of these: 
Green onions, chopped
Black olives, sliced
Avocados, cubed
Tomatoes, chopped 
Lettuce, shredded
Grated cheese
Sour cream






2 comments: