Welcome to my blog!

Welcome Friends! Please be patient while I add more info. I have SO much to share with you. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Italian Sausage Hero Sandwiches - Festival Style

Yum! Doesn't this look good?
Did you ever eat an Italian Sausage Sandwich with Peppers and Onions at a festival? My mouth waters just thinking about it. In fact that's one of the main things that motivates me to go to an outdoor festival! They are so good! I found a recipe in a Country Living magazine in the early 80's , but I add mushrooms to mine too. I thought I'd share this with you and I know you will thank me. See recipe below.

I like my sausage cooked well and charred!



Ingredients

2 Hot Italian Sausages and 2 Sweet Italian Sausages (I used only sweet! They aren't really sweet, but are not as spicy as the hot). You can find the Kroger brand (see picture above) in the meat section near the pork.
2 Tablespoons butter
2 large sweet peppers - 1 green and 1 red (sometimes I use all green)
1 large onion (I use sweet)
1 or 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (you could use canned)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Note: If doubling the recipe, you may not want to double the spices. I did that and thought there were too many spices.
4 Hoagie buns
Continued below

Pepper, onion and mushroom mixture
Take the casing off the sausages. You can leave them on, but I think they are better without that. They won't fall apart.
Fry the Sausages on medium high heat in the butter till brown on all 4 sides. This may take 20 or more minutes. Turn up heat if you need to, depending on how much char you want on them. Place the Sausages on a pan in a preheated oven that's been set on warm. If you think they aren't quite done put the oven on 200.

In remaining butter in the pan, saute the peppers, onions and mushrooms for just a few minutes. You do not want to get them too done. They're better when they're still a little crisp. Add the chopped garlic and spices. Stir and cook another minute or two.
Serve immediately in hoagie bun. I think they're better if the bun is warmed in the microwave for 10 seconds or even better if the buns are slightly toasted in the oven.
I hope you enjoy this!

No comments:

Post a Comment